Chewy Chocolate-y Peppermint Cookies
“Chocolate and peppermint always remind me of the holidays,” says Carol Gregg, owner of Pastry Art Bake Shoppe, who provided us with the perfect festive recipe, sure to represent the holiday spirit and embody one of the most classic flavors of Christmas.
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 1/2 cups crushed peppermint candy bits
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees; line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 2. Sift together flour, cocoa and baking soda; set aside.
- 3. With an electric mixer, mix butter with both sugars until light, creamy and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- 4. Add eggs one at a time; mix well. Add peppermint extract; mix well.
- 5. With electric mixer on stir setting or with a large spoon, gradually add flour mixture until well-incorporated.
- 6. Add crushed peppermint bits; mix well.
- 7. Drop by scoops, using a 1 tablespoon-sized scoop, onto prepared pans, about 2 inches apart.
- 8. Bake for 8-10 minutes in preheated oven.
- 9. Let cookies cool on pan for 5-6 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
Apple Cinnamon Pecan Cookies
The inspiration for this recipe came from Carol’s mom and dad, who loved using apples in their holidays treats growing up. It’s always nice to bake something that tastes like home.