This 15-Minute Workout Can be Done at the Office
Todd Makofski, Fitness Director
Greystone Golf & Country Club
4100 Greystone Drive, Birmingham, AL 35242
Todd Makofski, a certified strength and conditioning specialist and fitness director of Greystone Golf & Country Club, provides advice about fighting sedentary lifestyles—which can result from hours spent at indoor office jobs—through the following 15-minute “deskercise.” You don’t need any equipment for these exercises. Todd encourages everyone to consult with their physicians before starting any exercise program.
Stand Up and Get Mobile
- 1. Ankle Rockers: Rock forward and backward from heel to toes 10 times.
- 2. Hip Rotation: Place hands on hips and rotate hips 10 times clockwise and 10 times counterclockwise.
- 3. Torso Rotation: Extend arms out laterally left and right, and slowly rotate shoulders left and right 20 times total.
Lower Body Series
- 1. Body Squat: Position feet shoulder-width apart or wider, put palms together chest level in a “prayer” position, keep head up and upper back tight, and keep heels on the floor. Hold breath and lower body by flexing knees and hips; once parallel to floor, extend hips and knees to stand back up and exhale. Do 10 to 20 repetitions.
- 2. Alternating Reverse Lunge: From a standing position, take an exaggerated step backward with the left foot, flex right knee until it’s positioned over the right foot. Don’t flex right knee past toes. Flex left knee equally with left heel coming off the ground.
- 3. Standing Superman: Stand up straight with feet about hip-width apart, extend arms up overhead and extend torso backward, flexing glutes together as tightly as possible. Return to a standing position with arms still overhead and glutes relaxed.
Upper Body Complex
- 1. Chest Fly: Stand upright, bend elbows to 90 degrees to left and right, then bring elbows to the center of the body, flexing chest muscles. Take them back apart to the sides of the body and repeat movement 15 to 20 times.
- 2. Toy Soldier: Stand with arms extended in front of body with palms down. Raise right extended arm slightly past right shoulder level. Lower arm back down and repeat with left arm. Reach higher, depending on range of motion in shoulders. Alternate left and right arms for 20 repetitions total.